Monday, March 31, 2008

shiny_i (1/26): Camouflage by Joe Haldeman

What?! I should be on my 15th book already? Um, do half-books count at all? Well, sorry for the delay in submitting my first book review, but I guess I gotta start somewhere....

Joe Haldeman’s Camouflage is a good read if you like your sci fi sprinkled with historical military references, cheesy dialogue and some alien sex scenes. That’s right, alien sex, y’alls (but it’s kinda mild). If you can get past all of those elements, then you might be able to appreciate some interesting concepts. Namely, that in the not-to-distant-future, a mysterious extraterrestrial artifact is found deep in an ocean trench, and 2 archetypal aliens who have been living on earth for eons but don’t know about the other’s existence are drawn towards the artifact. The chapters alternate between their past lives masquerading as marine life and various humans and their present attempts to make their way to the artifact. When their paths finally merge at the end of the book, all hell breaks loose. You can pretty much skip through the narratives of the human protagonists because as usual, the aliens are much more interesting.

Even though Camouflage won the 2006 Nebula Award for Best Novel, I think his other book Forever Peace is better written. That book won the “triple crown” for both the Hugo and Nebula awards for Best Novel along with the John W. Campbell Memorial Award in 1998.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

Woohoo! Good review, shiny_i, and yay for reading!

I wish half-books count too :p

- k

4/01/2008 7:34 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

yay sy! go sy, go! woohoo!

4/03/2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Hey!! :)
I read this book too! (look in the archives, I think I mentioned it a couple of years ago :) ). I agree that I didn't like the book as much as it "deserved" based on awards. This is supposed to be in a series or something.

I agree Forever Peace is good, but I think Forever War was better :)

BTW Shiny_I, add your name to the title :)

4/04/2008 1:57 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

hey yeah, sy, lemme know if you want me to help, but you should add to your titles (where x is the number of books you're aiming to hit):

"shiny-eye 1/x:"

4/07/2008 11:07 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

found swingbeat's review:
http://eyeshurt.blogspot.com/2006/05/swingbeat-2326-camouflage-by-joe.html

very cool that you took a class by him!

4/07/2008 12:13 PM  
Blogger shiny_i said...

thanks for all the feedback, you guys! it's very encouraging!

4/13/2008 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home