Monday, March 10, 2008

ewee (11/26): Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

ewee (11/26): Spin by Robert Charles WilsonOk, more catching up. I snagged this book from miz sy (who's finished a book! she just needs to post :-)). And from a casual browse, I was hooked. Enough so I was surprised at my unwillingness to return the book. Oh the rudeness of it...I finished it before she did. (she's working on it now...book two! go, sy, go!)

This was a surprisingly original and interesting sf book. The main premise of the book is refreshingly new (you don't want me to tell you, do you?), the writing was quite good, and the pacing was engaging enough to keep me up past my bedtime. But it was a fast enough read that I handily recovered from the sleep deprivation.

The characters are both typical and atypical. So much of sf is male dominated, and this book is not so different from the norm. The story centers on three main characters, and their very intertwined lives. Unfortunately, the woman has the least developed and simplest characterization. Refreshingly, the novel strays from typical sf ground with its continued reference to both class and race.

Worth a read, if you're into this kinda thing. Best read, cozy in bed (with a small light, so your partner doesn't get irritated that you stole her book), with a quiet snack (again to avoid losing the book), and possibly a nice cuppa tea or cocoa.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

added to my booklist

Think this is an author to watch out for?

3/10/2008 8:19 PM  
Blogger yong said...

Just read the plot synopsis at the link you pointed to. Sounds fascinating. Makes me wish I could read right now.

3/10/2008 9:21 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

not sure. gonna give him another try. will report back. so far, i'd say yes. (he won some award for this book)

3/11/2008 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home