Saturday, March 15, 2008

swingbeat 3/26: Shortcomings by Adrian Tomine




This is book 1 of my two-day "ewee-list" marathon. Shortcomings was actually "only OK" to me. Maybe I just don't get it.. I see the various themes throughout the book... but I guess I don't feel I need to look at a portrait of a non-cool Asian male stereotype, whether true or not. I wouldn't go so far to say it was offensive to me, but I guess I didn't really see the point. But Ewee seemed to like it... I'm curious to see what other people thought.

3 Comments:

Blogger ewee said...

I'm flattered you're trying my reads, and happy you're reading!

And I actually agree with you quite a bit. If there wasn't a dearth of diversity in the world of comics/graphic novels, this probably wouldn't have been such a hit.

Also, I felt like the bay area was a silent character through the novel, and I do love the bay. (Even to the point of trying to watch Eli Stone to get glimpses of SF. But I couldn't keep that up.)

Thanks for giving it a go!

3/15/2008 3:24 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

what? you mean you don't like eli stone? It's OK.. a little hokey :)

3/16/2008 2:36 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

yeah, i'll probably get sucked in during the lost hiatus. it's more that i need to be getting to bed and not addicted to another show :-)

3/17/2008 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home