Monday, January 21, 2008

Kayan (3/26) : The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


I could not put this book down. I don't remember ever devouring a fictional novel with such eagerness. Khaled Hosseini is able to intricately weave a beautiful center stage story of human bonds against the backdrop of recent history of Afghanistan and America. Every detail in the story has a purpose, and the characters jump off the page and come alive with Hosseini's prose that, at risk of sounding crazy-cheesy, is simply magical.

The following all happened while reading this book:

- I dropped my jaw.
- I rode a crowded bus and strained to hold onto a too-high handlebar with one hand while holding this book in the other.
- I gasped, audibly.
- The clock struck 2 a.m. on a school night.
- I covered up the bottom of a page with my hand so my eyes wouldn't wander ahead to the ending-revealing dialogue before they were supposed to.

I watched my brother read this book with rapt attention (and some gasps of his own) before deciding to read it for myself. Boy I am glad I did.

2 Comments:

Blogger ewee said...

wooooo! hooo! go miz lucky duck! and yet another book i'm gonna copy you on...

1/22/2008 4:26 PM  
Blogger yong said...

Loved your descriptions of your reading actions. I'm sold. Some day when I can read again (read June), this is on my short list, too.

1/27/2008 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home