Tuesday, January 22, 2008

ewee (07/26): Salt, A World History by Mark Kurlansky

ewee (07/26): Salt, A World History by Mark Kurlansky Eh, it was ok. Good snippets. Nice bit about Gandhi (embarrassed to admit, didn't know about the connection with salt), and great to finally know what the colorful bits at the bottom of the sf-bay were about.

But overall, mediocre. Too bad I'll have library fines on it (again!).

Here's a good review i agree with -- better as little snippets. neither enough science or history. not enough flow. but definitely great factoids.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

I have this book. Received it as a gift from a friend who was also my high school chem teacher (and who Kayan has met). Started it, which is more than I can say for most nonfiction, but I just never got very far, and the poor thing's been sitting on my shelf ever since, neglected. Alas. And reading your opinion doesn't give me much more motivation. The SF salt ponds are beautiful from the sky, though, aren't they?

1/27/2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

Yes, tho I never knew what they were, so that's something. It is a easy enough book to read in pieces. Each chapter is it's own bit, so you could just chew through it before bed or while commuting or on the toilet :-)

-ew

1/28/2008 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home