Saturday, December 30, 2006

swingbeat 5/26: The Scar by China Mieville


This is the second book I've read by China Mieville, after Perdido Street Station.

I liked this one even better than his previous work. The world was well-crafted, and this time the story gripped me from the very beginning. BTW this book exists on its own; you don't need to have read Perdido Street Station to understand this.

Mieville takes the reader from one refugee of the city of New Crobuzon, out to a floating city on the sea, on an epic, hubristic quest. Once you think you know what the ultimate goal of the city is, in pops a new wrinkle. But in the end, Mieville sums it up nicely.

I can't really say much more without revealing too much. Suffice it to say that I've already started reading his next book :). Recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home