Tuesday, October 03, 2006

ewee (5/26): American Born Chinese, by Gene Luen Yang

american born chinese, front cover[another from my weekend of book gluttony. let's hear it for credit cards and retail therapy!]

ok, first off, i've met gene yang, tho i'm not sure he'd remember me. but he was one of a handful of graphic artists at my very tenative first public zine experience. [who knew that that was also the first time i got to check out dhamaal? -- apature has been very good to me...]

but enough who's who, back to the book.

this book is beautifully crafted -- it's obviously a work of love. everything from the drawing to the color to the writing to the actual book itself is gorgeous. it has much of the elements i love in graphic novels -- interesting story/character development, crisp clean design, beautifully drawn panels, and clever use of comics as a medium. the three stories are defty woven together, combining mythology, personal history, and even a bit of christianity (in a lowkey- gentle- palatable-to-agnositic-fools way) into one intriguing book. highly recommended. but hey, don't believe me? check out some pages yourself!

downside: no dog representation. (oh well. monkeys are cool.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

[having just checked out all of the "some pages" freely available] Wow. So very much a work of love. You're dead on there. Good thing more pages weren't posted, or I would have just kept going, getting myself even further behind in my grading and (not) prepping than I already am. The only reading I'll be doing this year is vicariously through y'all, but I'm glad others are picking up my slack. Haven't actually bought a book in forever. But I wonder if any libraries have this...

Welcome to the party, missy. And thanks for picking up the torch. And carrying it with such flair.

10/15/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

(aw shucks...thanks!) the book is still pretty new, but go request it at the library! create demand! yay!

10/18/2006 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home