Monday, May 15, 2006

swingbeat: 23/26: Camouflage by Joe Haldeman

I've read three of Haldeman's books before, Forever War, Forever Peace, and another "Forever" book (forget the title). I also took a sci-fi writing class with him at MIT. I've liked his writing and way of teaching. This latest book just won a Nebula award so I figured I'd give it a go as well.

This book, "Camouflage" is about an alien artifact found deep underwater, and about two alien creatures on Earth that can change shape. One of them is merely trying to gather information and trying to behave human (having forgotten its origins). The other one (origins also forgotten), can only shapeshift into a humanoid form, and it has murderous intent. This book takes place in the near future.

The story is about how the creatures, in their current modern forms, seek out this ancient artifact, and how a bunch of human scientists try to analyze the device. The book is pretty riveting, and it gets pretty exciting, especially at the end when the two creatures meet and duke it out.

But then, guess what, it looks like this is the first part of a series. Because the way the book ends ... well, it really doesn't. It's begging for a sequel. THat's a little disappointing, so I don't konw how this got the Nebula award.

I'll wait until all the books in the series are out before really judging this, but for now this book was a bit of a disappointment.

2 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

Hmm, interesting writeup. I've read the Forever books, too (was the last one Forever Free? I enjoyed Forever Peace best. And I think Forever War has a "The" in front of it, says the anal-retentive guy.) But what I'm really impressed with is that you took a writing class with Haldeman at MIT?! Wow, cool!

5/16/2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

heheh yup!

He gave me a B! :(
and I was lucky to get it :)

I liked The Forever War the best :)

5/16/2006 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home