Thursday, March 23, 2006

swingbeat: 21/26: The Frozen Coast - Sea Kayaking the Antarctic Peninsual by Graham Charles, Mark Jones, Marcus Waters, with Sarah Moodie


This was a pretty short coffee table book talking about the adventure that three kayakers had - sea kayaking the Antarctic Peninsula. At first I felt, "why are these guys doing it? what's the big deal?" I had forgotten about the thrill of being in the outdoors and camping outdoors. By the end of the book, I was ready to head down to Antarctica myself! (well not really). I did feel like I wanted to go out camping though.

These guys took a month off and paddled down the peninsula. They talked about what they did to prepare, how they got funds (sponsorship), and how they trained. They talked about the people they met at the various bases along the peninsula, and took lots and lots of photos (baby penguins are so cute)!

The kayakers as well as an editor each wrote one or two chapters, and their writing wasn't bad, but truly, the pictures are what make the book interesting to read (did I mention baby penguins?).

Recommended, if only for the beautiful photgraphs. Now I have a hankering to watch March of the Penguins!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

even that photo on the front cover looks amazing.

3/23/2006 2:51 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

So... this book was mostly pictures?... Nice one, J!

3/24/2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

It's not MOSTLY pictures. but there were a fair bit of them. Hey, don't say I haven't been pulling my weight around here!

4/13/2006 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home