Sunday, November 06, 2005

Bridget: 14/26: Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee

Stats: 368pp: Non-Fiction

Summary: Great book. I read this book over the course of a few months. I try not to get in the habit of reading multiple books at once but I was allowed to keep renewing these books whereas I couldn't renew the other books I previously blogged.

If you didn't get enough good feelings about this author when Jay blogged about him months ago (in his review of Aloft), I have another example of great literary prose just waiting for more readers to appreciate the talents of the author. Lee really had a great use of vocabulary that at times directs or misdirects the readers as plot devices to keep you interested but not frustrated with the progression of the story.

Henry Park, a Korean-American professional in his 30s, takes you through the highs and lows experienced in his job, his love life, and his family life. There are aspects to each that surprise you and shock you into reading more. Lee does a good job of giving a very genuine and believable picture of life events and personality flaws that can corrode relationships as well as realistic solutions to slowing the damage.

Recommended. I like that none of the characters in this story are perfect or have a perfect view of him/herself. I'm not sure if a person could devour this book in one sitting. But it is good reading for a rainy Saturday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home