Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Rich: (4/26) "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C. S. Lewis

The last book that I remember re-reading was for a class in 1996. With so many great books to be discovered, I don't like to spend time sowing over past fields.

But, there I was. I was in the middle of chaos. People were grabbing as many books as they could between their paws and dumping them into their brown shopping bags. I had arrived late -- the book sale had entered its bargain phase, and people were loading up. I only like to take books that I have a chance of actually reading. My bag was empty.

Sure, there were tens of copies of "Bridges of Madison County" left and plenty of Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and Nora Roberts. But, nothing caught my eye, as I walked through the pillaged remains of the sale. But, I happened upon this book, which I had read back in sixth or seventh grade. After a moment's hesitation, I put it under my arm. Had it not been for the frenzied book hoarding, I do not know if it would have earned a place in my bag.

But, supposedly this book is chock full of symbolism. Surely, I had missed it when I was a child. I enjoyed it then, but this time around, I'd read it with the eyes of an adult. Indeed, I was worried that it would not live up to my memory of it.

It sat in that brown paper bag for a few weeks, then an opportunity surfaced. I had finished reading a long, drawn-out, challenging novel and needed an easier one to coast through. I picked up C. S. Lewis' book from my stash and started reading. I marveled at the simplicity of the language. It may be a kid's book, but it was exactly what I needed. There are no shades of gray here; there are heroes, and there are villians. For those names that include the word, "witch," destiny has already made up its mind; witches only come in the evil kind.

To read this book is to once again see the sun rise and marvel at its warmth and brilliance. I didn't need double-crosses and plot twists to keep me interested. This simple, unadulterated story refills the spirit, a more formidable task as the soul ages. Fortunate are those who have found their Narnia and Aslan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

well done, my friend: both the reading and the review. :)

- k

10/26/2005 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home