Friday, October 21, 2005

Bridget: 11/26: The Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud

Sorry no picture and no link this time. I am blogging from a school computer and we can't do a bunch of crazy things on here. It is crazy not having internet access at home. I figured that I better blog now before I forget what the book was about! I told you all that once I started school you wouldn't hear from me for a while!

574pp. This is the second book in the Bartimaeus Trilogy. I have to admit that the book wasn't as good as the first (Amulet of Samarkand). This book took me a LONG time to read mostly because it didn't suck me in. There are some books that you stay up late reading even if you have a test the next day. This wasn't one of them. Still good but I have more hope for the third book in the series. I sometimes find that book 2 is not as good because it is a pre-determined filler book. This was the case here in my opinion. The characters are still interesting. I like that the magicians are not invincible and that humans can fight back if they so desire. I also like that the demons have more complicated reasons for existence other than mass chaos and destruction.

Plot with no spoilers: the magician Nathaniel calls upon Bartimaeus (djinn/demon he summoned in the first book) to assist him in finding the people who are behind various attacks on the magical community in London. We learn more about "The Resistance" (non-magical people who have defensive abilities to magic). Nathaniel had a conscience in the first book which seems to diminish a bit in this book because of his added abilities and growth in power.

I would still recommend this book if you plan on reading the complete trilogy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

welcome back, Bridget!

10/22/2005 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home