Monday, October 17, 2005

yong : book 3/25 : Les Miserables by Victor Hugo


1463 pages. That's one thousand four hundred sixty-three pages. I've been struggling through this quagmire, this fontis, for almost two months, and it has been both ordeal and pleasure. And in the end worth the effort.

One neat tech feature: On Amazon, you can read and search the entire text of this book. Had I known about it, it would have been nice for looking up details of a character last mentioned 900 pages prior.

I bought this book on November 3, 1987, when I was in the ninth grade. Never tackled it till now. At times, it felt like Moby Dick, that awful doorstop that's maybe 20% story and 80% chaff, whereas this book was merely 50% chaff through the first half--half being over seven hundred pages--and improving to maybe 25% chaff by the end. Be warned, this chaff makes it almost impossible to maintain any momentum in plowing through this book. Here is fifty pages describing Napoleon's battle at Waterloo, of which only the last two paragraphs are directly relevant to our story. Fly through thirty pages of story only to be stopped cold by forty pages about the history and habits of a convent of Bernadictine-Benedictine nuns. And so it goes. It seems Victor Hugo's ambition was to capture all of France in particular and humanity in general in one single book. He's certainly not the only writer that's tried, but he may be the only one who required 1463 pages to do it in.

But in the end, as might makes right, his characters and their story overpower all objections. Truth is a light, and these pages glow; it sometimes dazzled my eyes, and sometimes blurred them to tears.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

Bravo, Yong! Bravo!!!

( bows in disbelief )

- K

10/17/2005 10:23 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

From your editor:
I originally wanted to make this a new post; but I wanted to let Yong shine a bit longer as headliner, so I'm squishing this post here. ^_^

Time Magazine's Top 100 Novels from 1923 - Present

I've read 9 of them, 7 of which were required in high school.
Also, I've watched 2 in film format.

How about you?

- K

10/18/2005 11:55 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

nice job, Yong.

10/18/2005 3:27 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

re: Kayan's Time Magazine's top 100 list.

Interesting list. Why start at 1923? (I only read the list, not the accompanying story). There are many, many books that I've not heard of, and don't seem to make other top 100 lists that I've seen.

My tally seems to be 15 read, 5 for school. I guess my school wasn't very good.

10/18/2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger yong said...

Neat list! Provides great suggestions for what to read next. Rich beats me. I count 13, of which 7 were high school required reads. Well, 6 for English classes and 1 for Academic Decathlon.

10/19/2005 3:19 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/21/2005 8:04 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Wow, only 10 books for me, + 4 read movie form, and 1 read to me by my fourth grade teacher. Dang. now I feel lame. THANKS GUYS!

10/21/2005 9:56 PM  
Blogger Lynna said...

Congratulations Yong -- glad to see that you finally finished Les Mis -- what a feat! Are you ready for Brothers Karamazov now? :D

11/28/2005 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home