Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Rich (2/26) "Slaughterhouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut

In high school, I read my first Vonnegut, "Welcome to the Monkey House," a collection of short stories. It was really good, but then that was the time I thought science fiction was really good, too.

Then, a few years ago, I returned to Vonnegut and read his first novel, "Sirens of Titan." A bit stranger, less impressive, but one of his lesser known works. It's a passable first book.

Then, I read "Breakfast of Champions." What total garbage. I didn't even make it through the entire book. The satire was just so thick, that I got tangled up in the comic illustrations and absurdity of the characters. But, they made it into a movie. Somebody must have thought something of it.

So, here I am, giving Vonnegut another try. There was once magic in his work, and for fifty cents at a book sale, I ought to give his best-regarded work, "Slaughterhouse Five," a shot. The book was in pretty good condition, too. But, I have to say, my expectations weren't sky high.

The book was alright. Vonnegut's style is quirky, and thus disarming. He makes you chuckle at a few things and then throws in a dose of reality, the type which one normally treats with kid gloves -- but you're so used to shooting at the bad guys, that when the innocent bystander pops up, you shoot him, too. You even know it's coming, but you willingly step into his trap, because, well, you agree with the son-of-a-gun. And his creative style just serves to emphasize his point.

But, today's audience is more jaded and desensitized to be shocked by his message. I think this is the main problem; history has since one-upped him. Still, his deftness with his modern stylings put him in an elite group of writers.

Read him if you haven't already read him or Joseph Heller. If you're already read some of his other stuff, you ought to read this one. If Catch-22 was too much for you, then skip this one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

My Vonnegut experience:

I saw someone reading Cat's Cradle on the bus one day; thinking "that sounds familiar", I looked up the author that night. Kurt Vonnegut, of course.

The very next day, I was browsing a local bookstore when a Punk Rock Girl walked in and asked the clerk, "I'm looking for Cat's Cradle?"

Clerk: "Fiction?"
P.R.G: "Fiction."
Clerk: "It would be over there, alphabetical by author."
P.R.G: "I forget the author's name!"
Clerk: *about to type into computer* "What's the title again?"
I: "It's by Kurt Vonnegut."
P.R.G: "That's right! Vonnegut. Thanks."

I was surprised the bookseller didn't know!

8/31/2005 12:20 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

What are you talking about? Slaughterhouse 5 wasn't about waking up in a dream! It was sci-fi-ish, but it definitely wasn't a dream.

8/31/2005 5:27 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

The Heller book that you were talking about is "God Knows." I didn't get through much of it myself. In fact, I've tried several Heller after Catch-22, and they didn't quite measure up.

"Slaughterhouse-Five" isn't what I'd characterize as sci-fi. Certainly, there are fantastical events, but these are used as a story-telling device. In sci-fi, it's the other way around; the fantasy is the impetus for the story.

Whatever the case, seventh grade is a little early to be reading this, unless you're precocious like our friend, Ender, there.

9/01/2005 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home