Monday, August 29, 2005

From the editor:
Most of us are off to a comfortable start on the reading challenge, with Bridget on a mad pre-school sprint to the lead at 3/26. However, reaching the goal in the long haul is of the essence here; so you marathoners, keep your pace!

We haven't heard from Ms. Ricecake or Jonny. You OK?!

A couple of us are starting school / studies soon. Let's see how this lil' race unravels....

I found myself reading for the sake of the challenge, and not for the joy itself. It wasn't pleasant. I took a step back, and have now regained my composure. How are you doing?

- K

6 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

it'd be fun to have one book which we all read at some point in this marathon.

I'll compile my suggestions...

I think I'm the tortoise of the bunch. Be aware of "speed bumps" as you lap me!

8/29/2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

I absolutely LOVE the onebook idea.

My suggestions:
- If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino
A strange, compelling story about the pleasures of reading.

Hmm. I was going to have several suggestions, but I feel so strongly about Calvino, I'll just suggest one.

- K

8/29/2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Now I'm tied with Bridget for the lead :)

I don't mind If On a Winter's Night a Traveller, but I read that already. Did I recommend that to you? :)

How about let's use "A Game of Thrones"? seriously, it's such an awesome book, Bridget and I agree, and I'd rather re-read that :). She gave "highly recommended", and I agree!

8/29/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

I can see that it's going to be difficult to come to a consensus on a book to read. But, we should pick a book that no one here has read yet. It'll be more fun that way.

Keep the suggestions coming. There are billions of books, and millions of good ones. We'll find that one.

8/29/2005 5:50 PM  
Blogger yong said...

Concur. Y'all ever have movie nights where you go to the video store and play the let's-find-a-movie-no-one's-seen game? Takes a bit of time, yes, but hell, we got 54-odd weeks.

8/30/2005 9:14 AM  
Blogger Kayan said...

The problem with finding a movie no one has seen is that, 9 out of 10 times, you end up watching a mediocre movie.

Then there's that one time, when you find a gem like One Night at McCool's.

8/30/2005 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home