Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Bridget: 6/26: Kira-kira by Cynthia Kadohata

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0689856393/qid=1125442082/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-6975924-6760904?v=glance&s=books

Summary: 244pp. Also a children's book (although I have some issues with the classification). Won the 2005 Newberry Award. Feels like I am just going down the awards booklists to see what other people think is good! Great book, tissue box is a must!

Story about a Japanese family that is forced to move from their Iowa home to a prejudiced community in Georgia (because there is work there for the parents). Kira-kira means "glittering". The story is mainly focused around the three children and how they play together because there is no one else that will play with "colored" children. The family interaction is really touching.

Worth a read! Oh, the thing I had a problem with is that this is a children's book and the author swears a few times. Recommended (even for people our age).

3 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

You sure like to read large-print books designated for ages 9-12!

If your first book wasn't 800+ pages, I'd start raising my eyebrows at you. :p

8/30/2005 4:13 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

yeah, read what you want, Bridget -- don't listen to the book snobs. The adults don't have a monopoly on the good books. Some of the best books that I've read were as a kid. Of course, who knows what I'd think of them now. But, I'd recommend "Le Petit Prince" to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

8/30/2005 11:45 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Yes the Alchemist is good! Some people like Paulo Coelho, but his "I sat by the River Piedra and wept" was too new-agey for me - I had to stop reading in the middle!

8/31/2005 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home