Thursday, August 25, 2005

Kayan : 1/26 : Much Ado About Nothing

Read it online!
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare @ MIT!

Much Ado About Nothing presents two portraits of love: the dive-in-head-first, love-at-first-sight, blaze-of-glory, she-blinded-me-with-science variety; and the sophomoric, I'm-not-gonna-call-him-unless-he-calls-me dating game. Of course, since this is Shakespeare, there is deceit and misunderstanding in the progression of the former, and elbow-jabbing hilarity in the latter.

You know how, when you watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and you watch that blond chick walk into the woods, and you *know* what's gonna happen, and it frustrates you, and you know you can stop the tape or change the channel to skip the frustration, but you watch it anyway? You get that at the part where Claudio was duped. And you know how, in high school, you liked a boy, but you didn't want anyone to know, so you made up some roundabout way to ask other people whether he was at the mall last weekend? You would, like, so identify with Beatrice, OMG. How timeless!

Not having read Shakespeare since high school, I kept referring to the footnotes to make sure I was getting the double entendres. I quickly found this to be distracting, and decided to read through an act before going back to check the spots I was unsure of. This method proved to be much more enjoyable.

This book made me smile on the bus.

Recommended: Breezy
Beverage pairing: 1999 Beringer's Merlot

2 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Are you drinking that Merlot with you on the bus?

That'd get a smile from me, even if I weren't the one reading Shakespeare.

8/26/2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

aah! love the recommended beverage and recommended breezy bit...

9/27/2006 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home