Monday, August 22, 2005

Rich (1/26). "Henderson the Rain King" by Saul Bellow

Henderson heard voices in his head -- "I want. I want. I want!" It nearly drove him insane, even though most would already classify him as eccentric, anyways. His wife wouldn't understand or be sympathetic -- she couldn't suppress her laughter at his idea of going back to medical school. It wasn't a polite laugh, either -- it was a spew-the-food-in-your-mouth uncontrollable outburst. Sure, Henderson was an old, overweight man, but she was an odd cookie, too. So,
what's Henderson to do?

He couldn't buy a sports car either; this wasn't your ordinary mid-life crisis. Henderson didn't care about helping others, making his mark, or making the world a better place for his children. He didn't owe any one any favors -- he had made it by himself. But, the voice was getting to him.

Henderson ended up tagging along on a friend's honeymoon to Africa, oblivious to the gigantic inconvenience he was causing. He soon split from the couple (irreconciliable differences with his friend's wife) and hired a guide to lead him to the most remote village. What made him think that the answers would be any clearer there?

Henderson isn't your typical lovable loser; he's really not that lovable and not quite a loser. But, the reader is as anxious as the hero is to find the answer to that voice, "I want. I want. I want."

I did like this book, but not as much as I think I should have. It won a Pulitzer; it *must* be very good. Don't get me wrong -- I did like it. I just didn't leave with that "oh, that was good" feeling. Henderson, he's on this terrificly impossible quest, and he acts like he's just a kid trying to impress the other students in the class. A little infuriating. Maybe one of you will read it, so we can talk about it. Definitely not light summer reading, though.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

Rich! You're shooting for 26 instead of 17?!?! Yay!

8/22/2005 11:02 AM  
Blogger yong said...

Isn't it amazing the inconsistent quality of prize-winning books? Some you read and you think, 'Wow, that soooo deserved it.' (e.g. The Blind Assasin by Margaret Atwood) Others, 'That was good, but was it really prize-worthy?!' (The Life of Pi, or Empire Falls--which I actually loved but still question it's prize-worthiness.)

8/23/2005 3:31 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

I don't mean to suggest that this book is not deserving of its award. Rather, it stays true to its characters by avoiding the feel-good ending. What I am suggesting is that a more thorough understanding would have allowed me to appreciate the book more.

8/24/2005 12:55 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Kayan,
I will read what I read. It's these darn summaries that take up a lot of time! This one took me forever to write.

8/24/2005 1:00 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

Sort of a modern day, middle-age version of "The Alchemist", would you say?

- Kayan

8/25/2005 11:54 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

I wouldn't say that, since I haven't read "the Alchemist." Really, I think the strength of the novel lies in the strength of its title character. Henderson is an unlikely hero -- he has a strong personality that is offputting in its self-centeredness. But these same actions that make us cringe, also make us secretly wish him well on his quest. This goes beyond just rooting for the underdog; Henderson is a champion because of his animalistic honesty and integrity to pursue his own purpose, instead of catering to societal ideals. And yet, he is distracted by his need to impress the African strangers that he meets. And, we don't blame him one bit.

Does that sound like your "Alchemist?"

8/26/2005 11:30 AM  
Blogger yong said...

If anything, I think my The Keys of the Kingdom was somewhat Alchemist-like...

8/27/2005 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home