Tuesday, September 04, 2007

ewee (28/26): Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card

ewee (28/26): Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card Well, it seems like Card gets better as the series goes on. Speaker for the Dead is more substantial storytelling, with more interesting characterization and plot development. Admittedly, it's still fluff, but one with such good anesthetic properties that it absorbed me with ease. It also helped that I was taken with the idea of having someone speak for the dead. That is, the idea of marking the life and death of someone by researching and understanding the whole person -- both good and bad, as well as their connections to family, friends, work, community. It's also fairly sensitive in its exploration of "other," even going so far as to set up a hierarchy of alienness. And it manages to weave together the stories of Novinha's family and their various hurts into a very readable whole.

Overall, a good equation: more good fluff = less television.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

I should be getting ready for school tomorrow, but I just read an opinion piece in the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-rieff9sep09,0,7088267.story?track=mostviewed-storylevel) about the possibility that the US may be a fading superpower. And it felt a lot like I was reading a Locke-and-Demosthenes piece. Granted, the suggestiveness was probably helped out by the author's excessive use of the word "hegemony". But still...I guess fiction is only relevant if it's a reflection of truth.

Keep on knockin' 'em out, ewee. Meanwhile, I recently got a book in the mail (used) because my library didn't have it, but I don't know when I'll crack it open.

9/09/2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

Thanks! Might have to read something of substance next. My brain is filled with fluff...

9/10/2007 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home