Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Yong 6/26: Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Ace. Brill. Epic. Rich, you should totally read this book. The last few I've read have been okay. This one I unabashedly enjoyed. Ever wonder what it'd've been like to be a 13-year old boy growing up in a small village in England in the early 80's? Well, David Mitchell takes you there anyways, plants you firmly in the shoes of one Jason Taylor, immerses you in the language, the reasoning, the angst, imagination, turmoil, and triumphs, of a boy becoming...not a man yet, but no longer a boy, neither, and nevermore. Absolutely brilliant, this. This is going to have to be my last book before school starts up again. And a damn fine read it was.

4 Comments:

Blogger ewee said...

thanks (to you and rich) for the suggested reads... cannery row is on my desk now (a copy from the 1950's, borrowed from the library), and now i'll go request this...

:-)

8/15/2007 4:42 PM  
Blogger yong said...

Heh, glad to be of service (if indeed it turns out to be a service and not a bum steer.) And just returning the favor for Fledgling. And rah, rah, shish-boom-bah to you for being one book away from 26. :)

8/16/2007 12:13 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

:-) yes, almost there...tho i'd aspired to 52. oh well.

and yay for the burst at the finish. it's been fun reading your reviews!

8/16/2007 5:08 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

I'll put this book near the top of my to-read list, which admittedly is pretty barren. I'm almost done with my first short story, though. I tell you, reading was 26x (ok, 17x) easier than writing.

Kayan, are you going to do this again? I have a few interested people for next year's run.

8/18/2007 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home