Thursday, June 14, 2007

ewee (19/26): Fledgling by Octavia Butler

ewee (19/26): Fledgling by Octavia Butler It's actually been awhile since I finished this book, and even longer since I bought the book...guess I've been busy.

Or, perhaps, it's just that I'm mourning the fact that I'll never have another Octavia Butler book to read.

Overall, even with my general dislike of vampire stories (ok, except for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which--much like Fledgling--was actually more a parable of being "other.") this was an engrossing read, well-worth the hard-back price. The story offers so many layers, I'm not sure where to begin. Luckily, there's tons online about this book and it's much-too-shortlived author. So I'll resort to mostly just linking. (note that almost all the links below contain spoilers, or at least plot summaries.)

A very poetic summation of Butler's writing style, from boingboing's review:
...all the while never neglecting to tell a fast-moving, action-oriented story that had me turning pages well past my bedtime. I even stood on a freezing subway platform and finished a chapter before putting the book away and heading out.

Butler's novels earned her the MacArthur "genius" award, and it was well-deserved. Few writers in our field are so good at blending potato-chip page-turners with nutritious philosophical questions so seamlessly. Fledgling stands with Parable of the Sower and other classic Butler novels as a book that will provoke strong emotions and deep thoughts.
More links:

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

I had no idea Octavia Butler was gone. Wow. It wasn't that long ago that I was telling Rich about her, when we were both lamenting not being able to read most sci-fi any more.

It's been almost a year that our new city library opened. I love libraries. I still haven't stepped foot inside. Now that school's finally over, I finally will, and I'll look for this book.

6/17/2007 11:23 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

yeah, it's horribly abrupt that she's gone. and with so many good books left unwritten (time to re-read them, i suppose).

hope you like this one...!

6/18/2007 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home