Tuesday, February 27, 2007

ewee (15/26): Blankets, by Craig Thompson

ewee (15/26): Blankets, by Craig Thompson [Ok, another book with pictures. But it's a big book, almost 600 pages. And I'm working on two other word-only books concurrently...ok?]

So, this book has been out for some time, and I've been intrigued by it for awhile now. In recent months, I was reminded of that interest by it's removal from a public library [mentioned in an earlier post]. But the real draw is because the author drew/wrote one of my favorite graphic novels of all time, Good-bye, Chunky Rice, a beautiful story of love, loss, and the possibility of redemption.

Blankets was a fast read, well drawn, interestingly told, and overall a touching story of one [straight] young man's coming of age. I'm not really sure why the library is banning it, as I see more risque lack-of-clothing content in the average glossy tabloid [available at your local grocery store...and easily accessed by children! gasp! but then, what is the world coming to?]. And it certainly didn't seem too heretical, tho the author does seem to evolve from a world of fundamentalist Christianity to a more Humanist point of view [but one that seems essentially still Christian, but I'm hardly an expert, as I'll claim Agnosticism, if forced to choose...]. But nothing obscene, nothing even remotely queer, nothing really all that offensive. But enough about what I couldn't find in it.

What it is, is long. And still a fast read. I holed up a bit this weekend, resting, recuperating from an eye thing, but mainly just hiding from the rain, and slowing down a bit. [I even napped! Crazy!] This book was a lovely respite, a bit of an escape, and a very relaxing/absorbing/gorgeous graphic novel. Despite it's heft, I didn't find it as moving, or as deep, as Good-bye, Chunky Rice. But it is a well-told, intimate look at one man's coming of age -- replete with pain, alienation, childhood joys and scars, true love, grappling with self and bigger issues. Worth the read, but not sure everyone will be willing to purchase the tome.

For those who might want to try before you buy, here's a preview of Blankets, and Craig Thompson's artwork site, doot doot garden.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

Pictures or no, at least somebody is keeping this thing alive. Bully for you, missy. Props to Jay, also, even if he isn't on the blistering pace that he set last year. The rest of us...well, shoot, I haven't even opened a book since the summer. My town opened a brand new modern shiny library to rave reviews some five or six months ago and I haven't even seen the inside of the durn thing yet. Criminy. Time, time, time...see what's become of me. :)

3/03/2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

wow -- nice tie-in to miz k's blog question that i couldn't solve! ah, i'm just thankful that you guys got me back reading again. not sure why i slowed, but i used to be a voracious reader (and getting back to that...priceless). :-)

3/09/2007 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home