Friday, January 05, 2007

Kayan : 2/26 : Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes


I spent Thanksgiving 2006 with Y and his family in L.A.. Stepping inside His Childhood Home, it was like stepping into Bizarro My Childhood Home: the layout, the choice of furniture, the warm homey feel, the knick-knacks parents like to keep around.

Making myself at home right away, I mozied on upstairs and checked out Y and his brother's rooms. JUST LIKE MY PARENTS, his parents had put the family computer into the eldest son's room, and have converted the second child's into a guest room * by putting two twin beds side by side * exactly the same way my parents have done.

Y thinks I'm making more of a deal about these similarities than warranted. But to me it was an overwhelming sense of how suburbia is all the same across the country; that we have more in common than we have differences.

*********************

Ah right. The book. So I helped myself to Y's high school bookshelves and plucked out this one amongst all the other high school required readings. I know I must've read this in high school, and remember vaguely what the book was about (about as much as you're remembering right now).

As someone who's been thinking about the human mind a lot lately, one moment of the book jumped out at me: Mentally developmentally challenged Charlie Gordon had undergone surgery to make him smarter. He is now a genius. But his emotional intelligence has not caught up. Charlie Gordon makes the observation that we can have all the intelligence in the world, but without a human connection to others, we are not really living.

This is something I have considered. For example, I love reading and interpreting the application of the Holy Bible to everyday life. But I once met a theology student who knows the Word really well, but is completely inept at expressing it in applicable, real-life terms. As I embark on studies in psychology and continue to study the Bible, I am now more watchful for continued connectivity to people.

2 Comments:

Blogger ewee said...

aah! another zinger! i loooved this book! (and might have to add it to my GROWING list of kw inspired books...)
---
and to add to your suburban theory -- in my parent's place (also in socal), my room (i'm the stand-in for the oldest son) is now my dad's den (aka computer room), and my sister's (she's the youngest) room is the guest room. but only one twin bed. ah well. verrrry interesting. we'll have to compare notes on knicknacks.

1/08/2007 9:42 AM  
Blogger ewee said...

and, yay lucky duck! keep on readin!

1/08/2007 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home