Tuesday, July 11, 2006

yong : book 11/25 : Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

I'd never read Vonnegut before. I picked this book up based on Kayan's recommendation and the enthusiasm of the librarian who saw me browsing his books. And now, having read it, I'm still not sure what to make of him. Or at least what to make of this particular book.

It's a somber book. It had to be, because it presents the fire-bombing of Dresden during World War II. Vonnegut's irreverent humor dulls the edge, makes it easier to swallow, but a spoonful of sugar can't alter the underlying, undeniable somberness of an entire city destroyed, its 135,000 civilians and war refugees wiped out. By our side. So it goes.

Vonnegut was there at Dresden during the bombing. It's a story he had to tell, and he does it well, freely mixing autobiography with historical fiction with science fiction. It's one of the great anti-war stories (Are there any pro-war stories?), his most famous work, and arguably one of the most significant pieces of 20th century American fiction. I'm just not sure if I enjoyed it. Yep, it's one of those.

One more factoid: From Wikipedia, Vonnegut currently only writes non-fictional essays, "focusing on subjects ranging from contemptuous criticism of the George W. Bush administration to..." Eighty-two years old, still fighting the good fight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

Good write-up, Yong. And bravo for reading on-the-road (not, reading On The Road). Literary humor. I *rock*!

And kudos for doing post-read research on the author! Woohoo!

I'm thinking, at the end of this journey, we'll have a "sweetest discovery" poll. And Kurt Vonnegut, for me at least, is pretty hard to top.

7/11/2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger yong said...

I think maybe I should have found something lighter like "Cat's Cradle" instead for my first Vonnegut sampling. But they didn't have it on the shelves when I hit the library. I'll have to give him another chance later on, but I have several other books to read first. Another benefit of the internet age: Library check out is only for three weeks, and I was planning to travel for longer...but I can renew once over the web! Sweet.

7/12/2006 7:56 AM  
Blogger yong said...

Heh. Hey, how does "I'm just not sure if I enjoyed it." qualify as a love fest? I know, I know. I started it. Sorry. [hangs head in shame]

7/23/2006 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home