Monday, January 02, 2006

Bridget: 18/26: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon

Stats: 240pp. Not sure what you would call the genre so I will just call it fiction.

I actually finished this book a couple of weeks ago but had to do the Christmas travelling thing.

This was a great book! I didn't know what to expect at first because the first chapter was actually chapter two. The narrator of the story doesn't leave you wonder what happened to chapter one for too long. He just decided that since this was his book and he could compose it anyway he wanted... he would use prime numbers to number his chapters.

I definitely think that this book would appeal to a wide variety of readers. The main character has a moderate form of autism. He is brilliant with math but has some behavioral issues which put him in a special school for kids with extra needs. At the start of the book, he encounters the aftermath of a crime and decides to investigate the crime while writing a book about findings. I couldn't help but get sucked into this book because the main character is so likable and because the writer of the book is really witty. There were times when I couldn't help but laugh out loud because of some of the things the main character says.

Highly recommended. I even went out and bought it for someone for Christmas!

4 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/02/2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger yong said...

That's probably the highest praise you can give a book, when it's good enough to buy for someone else. Reminds me of another first-person fictional narrative about someone with mental issues, Flowers For Algernon, that I'd highly, highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it.

Happy new year, everyone, and good luck picking up the pace if your name's not Bridget or Jay. :)

--y

1/02/2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

I bought this book for S.No.2! Ha!

- K

1/04/2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

It's on my list!
Thanks, Kayan.

1/06/2006 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home