Monday, November 21, 2005

swingbeat: 13/26: Choosing God's Best by Dr. Don Raunikar


Recommended. This is my nth foray into the world of Christian singledom books. Actually, this was a lot better than I expected. It was recommended to me by a recently married couple (the groom read it a few years ago, and they both read it again on a vacation together!). So I figured I'd give it a try. I wasn't really expecting much.

This book is actually pretty conservative, more so than me. It talks about the principles of courtship (nothing new) - where people should date only for the goal of getting married, yada yada. It expounds quite a bit on "counterfeit oneness", the idea where spending too much time with someone artificially increases the closeness they feel, especially spiritually and emotionally. I've seen this happen to me as well as friends.

It took me quite a bit of time to go through this book (hence the three week hiatus). The ending chapters weren't as interesting to me as the first few chapters since the latter parts of the book dealt with stuff that I've read in other books. The earlier chapters made points on Christian dating that I could relate to. There were many times where I nodded my head in agreement or self-realization. The key takeaway is that Christian singles should eschew society's views on dating.

All in all I'd say to take the book with a grain of salt (as was suggested by my recommenders) because they are pretty conservative.

Recommended (but really, only if you're Christian :) ).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home