Wednesday, September 27, 2006

ewee (1/26): The Social Lives of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

The Social Lives of Dogs (front cover) Intimidated, but intrigued, by the 26-book-sucker challenge, I started with a bit of fluff (and fluff I'd read before, if that's not too reprehensible). In my defense, I was also recovering from a strenuous family visit (literally -- it was like family dragonboat boot camp, up at 5am, paddle -- 72 hours of nonstop family fun).

So excuse the nonhighbrow introduction...I'll step up. Eventually.

But the book? Well, it's ok, and I do mean just ok. Thomas' writing is engaging enough, her observations usually poignant (but keep in mind that I'm a crazy dog person), and her science...well, that leaves something to be desired. The illustrations (yes, I read a book with pictures -- can I still play?) were lovely and added greatly to my enjoyment of the book (but keep in mind that I'm an inveterate dog doodler).

In a nutshell, good dog book for dog-crazy people. Not so solid on the science, and would be better served if she lay off the science, and just spun a good yarn. But in the end, a good easy summer read to escape family trauma.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kayan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/27/2006 12:02 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

Welcome, ewee!!!!

Ooooh. I look forward to reading more of your reviews!

- K

9/27/2006 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home