Monday, September 11, 2006

99 books!

I am proud to announce the end of our first ever 26-in-52 reading challenge!

Together we've read a total of 99 books!

Total # of authors read: 78

The Breakdown:
33 Novels
18 General Non-Fiction
15 Science Fiction
12 General Fiction
8 Memoirs
6 Spiritual
4 Self Help
2 Short Stories
1 Poetry

Books read by more than one challenger:
A Feast for Crows (Bridget & Jay)
A Year in Provence (Kayan & Rich)
Slaughterhouse-Five (Rich & Yong)

This was a good exercise in discovery for me. In the process I have traveled through the U.S. and Provence, become a fan of Kurt Vonnegut, and visited Africa with my dream husband future President.

As Jonny said as he tried to make me feel better about having read only 11 books: I read more books than I would have otherwise. If I count the number of books I *started* to read, I'm way over 26....

Share your thoughts! I want to do this again.

- K

Update 9/14/06:
Ladies and gents, place your bets! We're doing this again!
- K (goal: 26/52)

5 Comments:

Blogger ewee said...

hey! if you do again, i wanna try...!

9/13/2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger Kayan said...

OK. Only books finished on or after 9/8/2006 can get onto new challenge list.

"Here she goes with her rules again...."

My reading pile:

- Letter From a Skeptic
- Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How They Shape Our Capacity to Love (for class)
- The Nun and The Anarchist
- Aging Well (for class)
- Dune

9/13/2006 5:38 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

my reading pile (so far):
- 9-11 by Noam Chomsky
- Serendipities by Umberto eco
- The Fifth Book of Peace by Maxine Hong Kingston
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- The Will Of The Empress by Tamora Pierce (might wait for that to come out in paperback, as it's pure fluff)

all but the last are ones i've started and put aside (and are just the top layer of books by my bed), so we'll see if this pushes me to finish them!

thanks! so! excited!
-ewee

9/14/2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

Thank you, Kayan. Without this challenge, I would have never attempted some of the books described here. I would have never reached that point in some books where the hard work finally pays off and it becomes worth it. I would have never signed up for my third local library card to find the book that I was after.

I've kept a log of start and end dates for each book that I've read, and Midnight's Children took me the longest (renewed 4 times, I think) and cost me the most (over $3 is overdue fines).

Congrats to Bridget and Jay for making it look so easy. Nice write-ups and photos, Yong. Happy reading, all.

9/15/2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Great fun guys! I'm definitely glad we did it - I definitely learned more about tons of OTHER books/genres people are reading :).

And glad to see we got another Umberto Eco reader here - can't wait to see Ewee's review :)

9/15/2006 8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home