Tuesday, February 21, 2006

KAYAN : Book 4/26 : The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

First I need to define Christian discipleship in my own words: To follow the personal call of Jesus Christ. It is not a system of rules or merely following the commandments by the Book; besides, "following rules" doesn't get us into heaven - grace does. Instead, discipleship involves a personal relationship with God that allows us to hear His call and to follow it.

Over the past 2 years I have learned that to follow Christ means to suffer. But it's a suffering that brings joy, thankfulness, and freedom - freedom from fear, freedom from judgement, and freedom from guilt. When things in the world don't matter anymore, you are free to follow what I used to think was "my heart", but turns out it's really God. When you allow those two to align, they are one and the same.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer's eloquent writing and truthfulness about the reality of being a Christian in the world convicts and challenges me to live without hiding God's presence in my life in the midst of nonbelief and sometimes even hatred towards God. I loved it when Bonhoeffer reveals that being a Christian doesn't mean holing oneself up in a monastery; instead, it means fully participating in the world while being a full follower of Christ. That is where the struggle lies.

Phew! Bonhoeffer is a gifted writer. Read about his martyrdom in your next Google search. He's one of my favorite authors.

Recommended: Christians and Non
Beverage pairing: Plain water while fasting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home