Friday, November 07, 2008

ewee (03/26): Buddha, Volume 1: Kapilavastu by Osamu Tezuka

ewee (03/26): Buddha, Volume 1: Kapilavastu by Osamu Tezuka
Ok, finally going back and posting. Been reading! Just not been able to post...this one is from mid October...]

Well, you might recall that I started with book 3 in this series. It was so good, I went insane and bought them all. In my usual geek/pake/supporting small booksellers fashion, I bought them online from independent booksellers and in hardback/used when I could (a couple of them ended up coming from Amazon, but only because they weren't available elsewhere). And now, I have the whole series.

So now I'm rationing them, and saving them for emergency situations (when chips and beer won't calm the upset, I find that these do the trick).

I can't possibly tell you how amazing these are. Osamu Tezuka is the Father of Anime, the Father of Manga, and a prolific and inspiring author/artist. His drawing style is at times poetic, and sometimes mischievous and playful. The distillation of such an enormous narrative is mindboggling, and yet he accomplishes it with grace and obvious joy.

If I could draw 0.125% as much as this man has, I will have achieved something.

Best read when you have the luxury of staying up all night (I can never seem to put it down)...or if you're up all night anyway, and need to chase away any other thoughts.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home