Saturday, August 02, 2008

Yong (9/26): The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman

It's particularly hard with this series to say anything meaningful without giving away some of the surprises from this or previous books, and part of the pleasure in His Dark Materials is all the little surprises Pullman takes the reader through, feints, false threats, acts of writing bravado and daring. This is an author who takes obvious joy in his craft. And joy is contagious. So all I can say is that whatever concerns I had previously were expertly assuaged in this final book. And if the first was too much one thing and the second too much of another, this concluding book seems to be just right. My opinion can be summed up as this: I checked this book out of the library Thursday at 2:42pm. I finished it's 500-odd pages at 3:30am.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

pedal to the metal!

8/07/2008 11:48 PM  
Blogger yong said...

heh. that's all I've got, though. binge ended. might read one more book before my summer ends in three weeks.

8/08/2008 4:43 PM  
Blogger ewee said...

fabulous! love your posts...!

8/13/2008 1:50 PM  
Blogger yong said...

:)

8/14/2008 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home