Thursday, December 03, 2009

swingbeat: 2/26: Trick or Treatment? by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst


This is the third book by Simon Singh I've read, and he doesn't disappoint. It took me two days to read it.



A little background - Simon Singh wrote two other excellent books (The Code Book and Fermat's Enigma). He basically makes esoteric scientific topics understandable to the educated reader. In Trick or Treatment, he explains alternative medicine.



He starts off talking about clinical trials and why they are so important. I was going to skip this chapter but it surprisingly drew me in. From this basis, he then talks about trials of alternative medicine that have gone on. He talks in particular of: Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Herbal Medicine, and Homeopathy.



I won't give away what he talks about, but I recommend reading this book. It certainly educated me and opened my eyes on these topics.


:)

3 Comments:

Blogger yong said...

now I'm curious. is his verdict good or bad? and yay for Jay, this blog still lives! or at least it has a pulse.

12/05/2009 4:41 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

heheh. I don't want to ruin it. but it's not all bad, but mostly bad. I really really recommend reading it. I'm going to make my wife read it :).

12/08/2009 12:47 AM  
Blogger Kayan said...

I just picked this up from the library - learning about clinical trials, statistics, and Florence Nightingale!

Good recommendation!

Kayan

7/01/2010 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home