Monday, August 15, 2005

yong : book 0/25 : In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami

sucker #3, checking in.

web virgin : book 0/25 : In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami
Gads. Never even made a real web page in my life--hell, I've been actively avoiding acquiring that skill--and now you expect me to blog?? In html?!? Madness.

But then madness is what this is all about, isn't it? I hesitated when Kayan threw down the challenge, I admit. Didn't think I had it in me. Hell, I still don't. I read, but only irregularly now. But I suppose it takes the point out of challenges if you only take on the ones that aren't...challenging. Only the ones you know you can do. Go ahead, paint me yellow and ask me to cluck.

So I'm in. If I were a betting man, I'd bet against me. I'm a reading sprinter, not a marathon man. I read in bursts. But I'm game to see just how far I do (or don't) get. 'Sides, just ain't no backing down when a woman starts talking smack. Lose-lose situation be damned, a guy's got the pig-headed reputation of the whole male gender to uphold here.

I'm taking a one book handicap by counting the book I read on Friday. I'd been reading some Haruki Murakami lately, so I picked up In The Miso Soup because I succumbed to the titillating cover blurb about the Japanese sex trade. Realized immediately that it was different, and confirmed that it was by a different translator, but I still didn't pick up until I was a third of the way through the book that it was by an entirely different author: Ryu Murakami. Story was okay, if a little overly twisted for my tastes. Felt a little ill through the first part of it, probably due to a combination of the darkness of the story itself along with my stomach not agreeing with the Polish hot dog I'd just eaten. Interesting insight into some of the things wrong with Japanese society that would lead to the current trend of high school girls doing "compensated dating," but psycho killers just aren't my thing.

My aunt in Korea just wrote me an email with a couple leads on prospective authors to read next. Maybe I'll delay Les Mis just a little longer. Walking over to the library now...

--y

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home